Monday, November 30, 2009

Domestic Sunday

Very proud of myself today! Finally got around to using up a lot of the stuff in my fridge. Made cranberry sauce with my last huge bowl of market cranberries, but still had some left over. I made about 16 jars, most of which will be Christmas gifts, and stopped there, considering people only need so much cranberry sauce (I don't even think that many people have Turkey anymore?). I think I will try making craisins with the reamaining berries.


With that done, I made a big batch of chicken stock. I tried roasting the bones first this time, hoping the soup would resemble that great Thanksgiving turkey carcus soup, but I can't say I really tasted a difference. I won't bother next time. And then finally I made some great spicy shrimps. I peeled them and made a stock first, using vegetables and herbs, just stuff I had around the house which was:

-carrots
-celery
-onion
-basil
-thyme
-sliced garlic

I simmered the stock for about half an hour, and then strained. Delish! I was expecting it to have a very seafood-y smell, but not at all. So I sauteed my shrimp with a little garlic, added some stock (reduced), and threw in a little tomato sauce with dried chillies. Amazing! I'm always pleased when I try to make something for the first time and it turns out well!

I'm also pleased when I manage to use up all the goodies that need to be used up in the fridge. I've gotten much better about not wasting over the years, but I still seem to have to throw out food at the end of every week. Which I find heartbreaking.
It's off to bed now for this cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment