Monday, April 19, 2010

Shrimp and Avocado Salad

It's time for delicious, fresh, yummy summer produce! I threw this salad together tonight with whatever I had left in my fridge and it turned out delicious. I love the all the colors together in my Mexican-style bowl. It was also super easy, it took only about 5 minutes (if you buy the shrimps pre-cooked like I did).

Shrimp & avocado salad:

-10 medium-sized shrimp, cooked and peeled
-1 avocado
-half a cucumber
-1 tomato (I used a roma tomato because it's not too juicy)
-10 baby carrots
-a quarter of a small onion
-olive oil
-red wine vineger
-dijon mustard
-salt & pepper

Roughly chop all ingredients, except for onion, which should be finely diced. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and add oil, vineger, and dijon to taste. Mix everything to coat with liquid ingredients. Salt & pepper to taste.

I put only a little bit of dijon, because I didn't want to mask the taste of my perfectly ripe avocado. I got a little extra kick from loads of freshly ground black pepper. I can't stress how much better freshly ground pepper is than the sawdust stuff they sell pre-ground at the store. It's so worth it to invest in a good pepper grinder.

Update on spending ban:
Although I wish I had made the time to actually blog about it, all was successful and ended today with the purchase of my new phone! After being cell phone-less for a year now, I was well overdue. And I definitely encourage the "break" from spending. It was a lot less difficult that I thought, and if I learned anything from it, it's just that I think a second longer "do I really need this?" when I'm in a store. Which can be a lifesaver for an impulsive shopper like myself.

I'm off to tax-filing land. Oh joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment