Friday, March 26, 2010

Spending Ban

So, after 3 days of spring cleaning, and our condo not looking nearly as clean as I would like it to, I've decided to give myself a 2 week spending ban. This seems to be a popular blog topic, and although I really admire how so many of you give do this over several months, I think my 2 weeks is pretty ambitious. I've cleaned out my closets, and given away 9 garbage bags to goodwill, and I still have too much stuff. It's time to return to basics, and re-learn to appreciate what I have. Here is the outline of my objective:

Acceptable Expenses:
-Groceries
-Household supplies (shampoo, cleaning products, etc.)
-Seeds and gardening stuff (it's the time of year to start my potted herbs, so I will allow myself this one luxury)
-weekly monday night dinner out with my wonderful boyfriend, because we work very and deserve this time and indulgence together

NOT Acceptable Items:
-clothing
-shoes (yes this another category on its own)
-household accessories (NO more dishes, NO more decorative bowls, and NO MORE candles!)
-any type of stationary, despite my efforts to justify it as a "need"
-transportation to and from work

So here I go. Wish me luck! I'm actually hoping I can continue this for more than 2 weeks but I thought I would start small so to not lose motivation. Baby steps.

On that note here are some things I love, although I will not be buying!

Like this "Tweets" notepad from Snow & Graham Chicago


And this cupcake kit complete with uber-cute paper shells, piping bag, and recipes, available at Indigo (and it's even on sale! must.resist.)

Ahhh. At least my apartment and my boyfriend will thank me.

No comments:

Post a Comment